The Nizkor Project: Remembering the Holocaust (Shoah)

Shofar FTP Archive File: camps/aktion.reinhard/treblinka/malagon.002

Newsgroups: alt.revisionism
Subject: Holocaust Almanac: Treblinka - Malagon Interrogation (2)
Followup-To: alt.revisionism
Organization: The Nizkor Project, Vancouver Island, CANADA

Archive/File: camps/aktion.reinhard/treblinka malagon.002
Last-Modified: 1994/07/09
Source: United States Department of Justice

Record of Questioning of Witness
City of Vinnitsa, October 2, 1979

Senior Assistant Procurator of Vinnitsa Oblast' Podrutskiy, on
instructions from the Procuracy of the USSR in connection with the
request from the organs of justice of the USA for legal aid in the
case ov Ivan Dem'yanyuk and in accordance with the requirements of
Articles 85, 167 and 170 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of the
Ukrainian SSR, questioned as a witness:

      Malagon, Nikolai  Petrovich, born in 1919, native and resident
      of the village of Novo-Petrovka, Berdyansk Rayon, Zaporozhe
      Oblast', Ukrainian, citizen of the USSR, laborer.

Questioning began: 9:45 A.M.

In accordance with Article 167, Section 4 of the Code of Criminal
Procedure of the Ukrainian SSR, the responsibilities of a witness
provided for by Article 70 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of the
Ukraininan SSR were explained to N.P. Malagon, and he was warned of
his criminal responsibility under Article 178, Section 2 of the
Criminal Code of the Ukrainian SSR for deliberately giving false
statements and under Article 179 of the Criminal Code of the Ukrainian
SSR for refusal to give statements or persistent evasiveness.

Signature (Malagon)

Under explanation of Article 19 of the Code of Criminal Procedure of
the Ukrainian SSR, witness N.P. Malagon stated that he is fluent in
Russian, that he did not need an interpreter and that he wished to
give his statement in the Russian language.

Signature (Malagon)

In response to the questions asked, witness N.P. Malagon stated:

   During the Great Patriotic War, I participated with my military
   unit in the defense of the city of Kiev. In August of 1941 I was
   wounded in the head and taken prisoner by the Germans together with
   other soldiers from my unit.

   While a prisoner, I was first held in a POW camp in the city of
   Zhitomir. We were later transferred to a camp in the city of Rovno,
   and a day later we were transferred in railroad cars to a POW camp
   in the city of Chemnitz (Poland).

   We were held in this camp for approximately two months. In roughly
   October or November of 1941 we, the POWs, were assembled near the
   barracks and some man unknown to me wearing civilian clothing began
   to select prisoners for work. He selected a total of roughly 60-70
   POWs, including myself. This man did not tell us what kind of work
   we would be doing or where we would do it. The selected POWs and
   myself were hauled in three trucks to the village of Travniki
   (Poland) and we were told that in this training camp we would be
   trained as SS guards. When we arrived at the Travniki training
   camp, there were already other POWs there, as well as the camp
   administration. There was a total of approximately 300 trainees in
   the camp; these were organzized into four companies. Three
   companies consisted of Ukrainian POWs and one company consisted of
   Russian POWs.  I was in the 3rd Company. The commander of my
   company was Mayevskiy (I do not remember his first name and
   patronymic). He was Polish or German by nationality, since he spoke
   these languages well. His fate is unknown to me. Our platoon leader
   was Komarkin or Komarik (I do not remember his precise name), a
   German by nationality, who died in roughly the spring of 1942 from
   heart disease. The squad leader was Broft, whose first name and
   patronymic I do not remember. He was a teacher by profession and
   was a Volga German. His later fate is unknown to me. Two or three
   weeks after our arrival at the Travniki camp, we took an oath of
   loyalty to Germany and were issued Belgian military uniforms. In
   January of 1942 the Germans selected 10 men from among the
   trainees, myself included, and sent us to the city of Zamoste
   (Poland), where we guarded an estate. Mayevskiy was the senior
   officer among us. We guarded this estate until the spring of 1942
   and then we returned to the Travniki training camp, where we
   finished our training course within 2-3 weeks. After this we were
   awarded the title of SS guards and issued identification. Our
   identification was printed on heavy paper (I do not remember the
   color) and folded double. My photograph was attached to my
   identification and it had a text in German.

   A short time later, as part of a group of guards consisting of
   20-25 men whose names I do not remember, I was sent to the Lublin
   camp. We worked cleaning up the area at this camp and stayed there
   5-6 days. From the Lublin camp we were sent to the city of Warsaw,
   where we stayed approximately three days. During these three days I
   once guarded the Jewish ghetto. From Warsaw we, the guards,
   escorted a train filled with Jewish civilians to the Treblinka
   death camp. We were all armed with rifles and live ammunition. When
   we arrived at the Treblinka camp together with the prisoners, we
   handed them over to the camp guard. When we arrived at the camp,
   there were other guards there from the Travniki school.

   While at the Treblinka death camp, I met the guard Nikolai
   Marchenko, who operated a gas chamber. I do not know where he is at
   present. In the same camp I met the guard Ivan Demedyuk or Ivan
   Dem'yanyuk (I do not remember his name precisely). This guard was
   of average height and heavy build, spoke Ukrainian and had light
   brown hair. His speech was pure; he pronounced everything well. I
   do not know where he was from, since I did not talk to him about
   this. While I was at the Treblinka death camp, he worked there as a
   cook, preparing food for the guards.

   I could identify the guard whom I have named as Demedyuk or
   Dem'yanyuk from photographs.

   In February of 1943 approximately 15 of us, the guards, were
   transferred to the Belsen camp (Poland). Ivan Demedyuk or Ivan
   Dem'yanyuk remained at Treblinka. We were at Belsen for
   approximately five days and, since some of the guards escaped, we
   were once again returned to Travniki, where we were given special
   insignia, and then we were sent to the Auschwitz death camp. I
   served in this camp from March to April of 1943. Then, we were
   transferred to the Buchenwald death camp, where I served as a guard
   from April of 1943 through February of 1945. Here, from what other
   guards (whose names I do not remember) said, I learned that Ivan
   Demedyuk or Ivan Dem'yanyuk, who had worked as a cook at Treblinka,
   had been transferred to work as a gas chamber operator. His later
   fate is unknown to me. I escaped from the Buchenwald death camp in
   March of 1945.

   During my service in the camps as a guard, I did not participate in
   the shooting of Soviet citizens or citizens of other nations and
   criminal proceedings have not been undertaken against me.

   I have read the record of the questioning. My statements were
   recorded faithfully. I have no additions or corrections to make.
   The questioning was completed at 1:00 P.M.

	(Signature) Malagon

Questioned by:
Senior Assistant Procurator,
Vinnitsa Oblast'		(Signature) V.L. Podrutskiy

Copy Authentic:

Procurator, Vinnitsa Oblast'	(Signature) G.S. Tarnavskiy



Home ·  Site Map ·  What's New? ·  Search Nizkor

© The Nizkor Project, 1991-2012

This site is intended for educational purposes to teach about the Holocaust and to combat hatred. Any statements or excerpts found on this site are for educational purposes only.

As part of these educational purposes, Nizkor may include on this website materials, such as excerpts from the writings of racists and antisemites. Far from approving these writings, Nizkor condemns them and provides them so that its readers can learn the nature and extent of hate and antisemitic discourse. Nizkor urges the readers of these pages to condemn racist and hate speech in all of its forms and manifestations.